Runic Alphabet, also known as futhark, are used by Germanic peoples for ages as a tool of divination or a way to predict the future. Rune Stones or cards contain 24 runes, divided into three groups of eight. Runes were traditionally carved onto different materials such as stone, wood, bone, metal or glass and usually kept in a pouch or box. Ruins usually come with a book of instructions defining the symbols.
The word ‘rune’ means mystery, whisper or secret and runes are used in divination and charms. They are used to help gain insight into situations or questions.
Each rune symbol is not only a letter of the alphabet, but they also have symbolic meanings.
Runes of the Elder Futhark:
- Fehu, F, means wealth: self-love, improved income, happiness, wealth and success. Reversed: Disappointment, loss, and frustration.
- Uruz, U, means wild or falling rain: Strength, love, health, change for the better. Reversed: Lack of power and motivation.
- Thurisaz, T, means giant: Door opening and truth-telling. Reversed: unfavourable news or a sense of feeling vulnerable.
- Hagalaz, H, means hail: Nature at its worst. Destruction and damage. Cannot be reversed.
- Ansuz, A, means an ancestral god: new beginnings and communications, messengers, signals, and gifts. Reversed: Deceit by those you trust.
- Raidho, R, means ride or journey: journeys and travel. Reversed: indicative of delays and possibly difficult journeys.
- Kenaz, K, means a beacon or torch: a warning of danger to health. Reversed: Depression, anxiety, loss of someone close to you.
Single stone reading
- Place all rune stones in a bag
- Clear your mind and focus on the questions you want to ask.
- Hold the bag in your receptive hand and mix up the stones with the fingers of your receptive hand
- Ask the question and take a rune stone from the bag.
- The symbol written on the stone should answer your question.
- If you require further clarification, grab another stone from the bag and read the symbol on it.
- If you find that you still need more clarification, it might be the time to place the stone back in the bag and reshuffle the stones and rephrase your question.
Four Stone Reading
This reading is the more complicated one and is better left to those who have rune stones’ advanced knowledge. This reading requires you to read a combination of four rune stones. Here’s what should be done:
- Clear your mind and focus on the questions you seek answers to.
- Hold the bag of rune stones in your receptive hand and mix up the stones in the bag with the fingers of your receptive hand,.
- Ask your question.
- Grab four stones from the bag, one at a time.
- Read the letter on each stone and place them in front of you.
- The first stone indicates the past.
- The second stone indicates the present.
- The third stone indicates the future.
- The fourth stone indicates the behaviors and energies.
A lot of people believe that the selections made within the runes stones are not random at all, they are the choices made by our subconscious. And some believe that the rune stones selected hold the answers provided by the Divine to affirm what we have long known in our hearts and refused to admit it.